Late and Absence Procedures
Poor punctuality is not acceptable. If your child misses the start of the day they can miss work and do not spend time with their class teacher getting vital information and news for the day. Late arriving pupils also disrupt lessons, can be embarrassing for the child and can also encourage absence.
How we manage lateness:
The main door on the playground is opened at 8.40am for children to enter school.
The school day starts at 8.50am and we expect your Child/ren to be in class at that time.
Registers are marked between 8.50am and 9am and your Child/ren will receive a late mark if they are not in by that time.
At 9.30am the registers will be closed. In accordance with the Regulations, if your Child/ren arrives after that time they will receive a mark that shows them to be on site, but this will not count as a present mark and it will mean they have an unauthorised absence. This may mean that you could face the possibility of a Penalty Notice if the problem persists.
If your child has a persistent late record you will be asked to meet with the Learning Mentor and/or Head teacher to resolve the problem, but you can approach us at any time if you are having problems getting your Child/ren to school on time.
If your child is absent you must:
- Contact us as soon as possible on the first day of absence;
- Send a note in on the first day they return with an explanation of the absence – you must do this even if you have already telephoned us;
- Or, you can call into school and report to reception, who will arrange for a member of staff to speak with you.
If your child is absent we will:
- Invite you in to discuss the situation with our Learning Mentor and/or Head teacher if absences persist;
- Refer the matter to the Knowsley’s School Attendance Improvement Service if attendance moves below 90%.
- A referral to the school nurse may be made to provide additional support in cases of persistent sickness absence.